About

The Whispers of Memory is the name of the two-man poetry collective comprising Gary Rhodes and Calvin Brooke. Part daily journal, part cathartic self-expression, the pair seek to chronicle their lives using the written word, from the fantastic to the mundane.

Wednesday 4 November 2009

Tracing Paper

I stroll a street of grey disdain.
Translucent like tracing paper.
Crumpled and soggy from the rain.
I see not what passers by trace.

They trace their own facades.
Representing their worldview.
They do not know or care for/of mine.
Through me, they can practically see through.

I stroll unnoticed a desert of grey disdain.
Translucent like tracing paper. Catching some rays.
Somebody tries to draw on me with magic marker.
What is this magic? I ask.

"This magic", (s)he* answered, "Is the magic of subject-oriented perception."
Resentfully, I look confused.
I do not understand this person's sentiment.
Him/her*, I can not see through.

Maybe you too are like tracing paper,
Or, should I say, tracing paper like you.


*I am a firm believer in gender blindness. If we were all blind, the world would be a safer place.

No comments:

Post a Comment